Bela Pana or Bel ka Sharbat (Traditional Odia Pana Recipe)
Bela, Bael, Bel or Wood Apple is a fruit which is available mostly in the summer season. We can make Bela Pana from the wood apple pulp. The drink is very tasty and healthy. This Bel ka sharbat is very beneficial for the stomach. This Bel juice keeps our bodies cool. You can offer Bel ka sharbat to your guests also. Your guests will love this Pana and surely say thanks to you. The ingredients used in this juice are very less, so anyone easily makes it.Importance of Bela pana, Bela Sarbat, or Bel ka Sharbat: This is a traditional Odia Juice. Normally Odia people drink this Bela Pana on April 14th or Bisuba Sankranti or Pana Sankranti (Odia New Year) or we call it Hanuman Jayanti. Bel sharbat prevents us to get sunstroke in this hot summer season.Health Benefits of Bela Pana, Bel ka Sharbat, or Wood apple Juice : 1. Good for your gut: It can help in preventing and curing several stomach problems like constipation, diarrhea, indigestion, ulcer, and piles. Having Bela Pana or Bel ka Sharbat can help you improve your digestion.2. Best for diabetes patients: The branches and trunk of the wood apple, bel, or Bela tree contain Feronia gum that reduces the elevated blood glucose level. It is a part of essential Ayurvedic treatment for diabetes and can also cure the severity of this disease in the long run.3. Boosts immunity: Bela, Bel, or wood apple is the powerhouse of vitamin C which is a strong antioxidant that boosts immunity and provides relief from a common cold, sinus, headache, eye, and ear pain. It is also effective in fighting chronic diseases and reduces the risk of high blood pressure. Bela or bel is also rich in anti-inflammatory properties helping reduce the risks of cardiovascular diseases. Having wood apples during monsoons will help in preventing infections due to bacteria and viruses.4. Provides instant energy: Bela or Bel is also known to improve and boost your metabolism. It is high in protein and thus, is essential for building and repairing damaged tissue and muscle. It will also provide instant energy and prevent dehydration during gloomy days.5. Good for blood purification: Wood apple or Bela or Bel is known as a powerful blood purifying agent and helps in the elimination of toxins from the system. It is a natural detoxifying agent and thus, prevents kidney and liver dysfunctions. It also helps in fighting infections and skin diseases which are common in monsoons. Wood apple is known to heal and prevent acne and skin-related issues.Other Important facts about Bela or Woodapple: The scientific name of Bela or bael or wood apple is Aegle marmelos. Mostly Hindu people use the leaf of this Bela tree for worship or puja purposes. Mostly this leaf is offered to Lord Shiva to take his blessings. This Bela tree is considered to Holy Tree. Overall this Bela or wood apple tree contains both medicinal and religious values. In my home, I planted one Bel Tree and I water it every day after bath. This gives mental peace. Also, this bel fruit is known as Bengal quince or Stone apple, or Elephant Apple.Where to find and When: You can find Ripe Bela or a Bel or Bengal quince from March to June. You can find it in the nearby market or supermarket at the price of 30-50 Rs per piece. Buy only Ripe Bela or Bel to make this tasty Bela Pana or Bel Sarbat.In Odisha we call the Juice Bela Pana, In the Hindi language, we call it Bel Ka Sharbat and In English, we call it Woodapple Juice. All are the same and the procedure to make Bela Pana, Bel Ka Sharbat, or wood apple juice recipe also remains the same as shared above.
- 1 Pan To mix all the ingredients for Bela Pana
- 1 Spoon
- 1 Pc Ripe Bela or Wood Apple
- 1 Cup Sugar or Jaggeri You can change the quantity of sugar/Jaggeri based upon your taste
- 2 Tbsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2 Cup Chenna or grated Paneer
- 1/2 Cup Grated Coconut
- 4-5 Pc Ice Cubes
- First take a Ripe Bela, Bel, or wood apple and wash it properly.
- Then break the bela or wood apple into two halves.
- Use a Spoon to remove the Bela pulp from the outer coat of the fruit. Then add some cold water to it so it will be easy to remove the non eating things from the Bela.
- Now, remove the pulp of the Bela using a spoon or you can remove the seeds and other thread-like structures by using your hand. Before mashing clean your hand properly.
- After removing all the seeds and thread like sturucture, keep these aside.
- Now, after cleaning add some sugar and cold water into the juice and mix it.
- Now add grated coconut into the mixture.
- Now add grated paneer or chena into the bela sarbat.
- Now add some black pepper powder into the mixture.
- Add some ice cubes into the glass of bela pana. Now the bela pana or bela sarbat or wood apple juice is ready to drink and serve.
Some Important notes for this Bela Pana Recipes are :
- Use Powdered sugar in the juice because it is very easy to mix. You can buy powder sugar from the market or you can grind the sugar and convert it into powder form and then can add it to the Bela sarbat.
- Try to maintain the wood apple or Bengal quince juice a little thick and add water accordingly to maintain the taste and to enjoy the nutritional and health benefits of Bel.